<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Last Wednesday night was a sad night. Not because the Penguins lost. It wasn't that kind of sad. I'm a fan of five major pro or college teams. In any given year, at least two are in somewhat serious contention for a championship or a major bowl game. Most years, none have won it so I'm used to that kind of sadness and usually get over it quickly.

No, the sadness Wednesday came from walking out of the Civic Arena for probably the last time. For me, the arena wasn't always about hockey. I have seen numerous hockey games there, as well as a Penguins practice that was open to the public. But I also saw soccer (Pittsburgh Spirit), Football (Pittsburgh Gladiators), and basketball (Pittsburgh Panthers and Harlem Globetrotters) games there. My parents took me there to see the rodeo, the circus and even the Ice Capades. I've seen concerts there by the likes of Prince, Aerosmith, and The Eagles. I swear I was even there once when the roof was open, although I can't remember the exact occasion. I've stood down close to the ice when it was set up for hockey and I've stood up in a luxury box during a Globetrotters game.

I remember the year after they put in the 'F' level, going to a game with my brother and his college friends. He got a seat that was separated from the rest of us in the 'E' level by the pillar that holds up the 'F' level. We also got tickets once for the igloo club back when I was almost old enough to drink. Then there was a time I won Penguin tickets at a gentlemen's club. Don't ask.

I remember my first hockey game. I was around 10 years old. It was against Calgary. I remember this because I had never heard of the city of Calgary. We had to leave that game a little early because my brother got sick and was throwing up in the restrooms. Last year, I got to take his son, who has our love of sports, to his first hockey game.

The walkways at the arena are tight and so are the seats. When I was small, though, they always seemed huge. And going there always meant seeing something new and different. Going there became more routine when I got older, but it was still a unique experience from any other venue I've been to. I'm looking forward to the new arena, but it won't be the same experience. Whether it'll be not having to walk down two levels to get to a restroom or concession stand or seeing a major concert that would have bypassed Pittsburgh in the past because of the arena, I'll be missing the arena.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!