<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 03, 2008

I just got back from watching the Super Bowl at a local bar. Not only did the Giants win as I had hoped and predicted, but I won a flat-panel tv during a drawing at halftime.
One thing I've been meaning to post about is rules for sports fandom. I wanted to do a long post about how a person can only have one primary favorite team per sport/league and can have secondary favorites they can root for when they're not playing the primary favorite team. Well, don't know if that long post will ever come, but the discussion came up today when a guy who is known for being a big Redskins fan came wearing a Patriots hat and calling the Pats his team. The Giants fans immediately called him out on this. And there was a lot of trash talking back and forth as the game went back and forth. But when someone suddenly starts claiming to be a big fan of his team only after his real team is out of the playoffs, then he should be called on it. And maybe he caused bad karma that worked against the Pats tonight.
The only thing that didn't go my way tonight is, while I did pick the Giants winning a close game, I had both teams scoring in the 30s. So I totally blew the over/under which likely cost me making the top 3 in my football pool's final standings this year.

On a totally different subject, I saw the new Rambo movie today. It is not cartoonish like the other sequels and it has scenes whose violence is on a level with the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. (And yet there were kids in the theatre. That's a post for another day.) It doesn't try to lighten up Rambo's mood or personality. You could say that Stallone can't act in this movie, but I think he could have acted better, but in reality, anything different would have been wrong, too drastic of a change from the previous movies. Also, I wasn't quite sold on Julie Benz getting Rambo to take action. It worked, but just barely. And I'm glad they didn't try to force a romance there. Anyway, it's a violent action movie. As for most action movies, some suspension of belief is necessary. I give it a rating of worth full price admission.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
There are rumors that Julie Benz is a cousin of the Pittsburgh DJ Tim Benz, but I can't find any corroboration.
 
Well, Julie is from around Pittsburgh and, if I'm not mistaken, Jody once worked with her uncle.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!