<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Okay, as I posted at some point not too long ago, I subscribe to eMusic for both music and audiobooks. The plans I am on get me 75 tracks and one audio book per month. I've decided to post my choices each month. eMusic contains no major label artists, which means I often have to research artists I've never heard of and put time into my choices. Also, when when I don't have much time, I often go towards familiar names, like James Taylor, Maria McKee and Great White. And the eMusic tracks I've listened to most are without a doubt the ones from Scott Blasey's solo album "Travelin' On". The familiar names, though, seem to bring me to two categories: Country and Comedy. But my downloads span a wide range, from Vince Guaraldi to Anti-Flag. Lately, I've been really in to Billy Joe Shaver. You might not have heard of him, but he's written song for some of the all-time great country stars. He's as important a name to the outlaw style of country music as the names Cash and Haggard. With that, I give you my downloads for this month (Just the album name if I download the whole album):

- "Grown Up Christmas List" by Rissi Palmer (two tracks) - It's a little late for Christmas songs and I didn't really need both versions of this song, but I loved Rissi's first album and want to support her. Also, I got to see her perform live before the Steelers/Jaguars playoff game as well as halftime. It would be really cool to see her in a full concert.
- "Get Thee Behind Me Satan" by Billy Joe Shaver w\ John Anderson (one track) - Billy Joe's new single. Great song. Seen the video on tv a few times. Disappointed they only have the single and not the entire new album available. Hopefully they'll put it up soon.
- Another Way To Go - Radney Foster (13 tracks) - Always liked his stuff when I heard it but never owned any of his stuff, so saw this album, recognized a couple songs and decided to get the whole album.
- Austin City Limits: Live From Austin, TX by Richard Thompson (15 tracks) - A guy I worked with at my last company who I occassionally hung out with always talked about how great Richard Thompson is, so I decided to finally add some of his stuff to my collection.
- Outtakes and Demos: 1975-2003 by Joe Grushecky (30 tracks) - What can I say? I want some more Grushecky in my collection. For those who don't know, Joe is a friend of Bruce Springsteen and was described in a national article as what Bruce would be if Bruce hadn't become rich and famous. In other words, a great blue-collar, bar band rocker.
- Storyteller- Live at the Bluebird 1992 - Billy Joe Shaver (14 tracks) - More Billy Joe. In this one, he's performing live with his son Eddy (who has since passed away) and I believe another guy in a acoustic performance where, as the title suggests, he tells stories about the songs. The stories are as good as the songs.

Those are my music downloads for the month. I haven't made my audiobook download just yet. If anyone has any eMusic recommendations, especially for music tracks, let me know. Thanks.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!