<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 11, 2007

I got the movie Idiocracy from Netflix. I'll talk more about it later. I decided to watch it first and then take care of business I needed to do, like pay bills online and write emails. Of course, I log in after the movie and I first balance my checkbook based on my online account. Then, I hit the "Pay Bills" link on my online checking account and discovered my internet connection has gone done. I swear if I didn't think that DSL had just as many bugs and glitches as cable internet, I'd switch.

Anyway, I watched two more movies, bringing my yearly total up to five. Note that I've added a section on the side to my movie count. I don't plan on keeping every movie I see on it, just the most recent five or ten.

Movie #4 was Waiting... It is a very funny movie set in a TGIFriday-style restaurant. It is a gross-out comedy, so don't watch it if you have a weak stomach. However, this movie is to waiters/waitresses/bartenders what Office Space is to us cubicle dwellers, a fact I've confirmed with waitresses/bartenders I know. My ranking is definitely pay full price in theatres, possibly even see it twice.

Speaking of Office Space, movie #5 was Idiocracy. It's written and directed by Mike Judge, the guy who wrote and directed Office Space. This fact and the fact that it is a movie about stupidity by the guy who created Beavis and Butthead might raise expectations on this movie. The fact that it got a short theatrical release in only six markets might lower them. The movie's premise is that two "average" people, an army private and a prostitute, are chosen to take part in an experiment where they are to be put into a state of hibernation for one year. Of course stuff happens and they end up sleeping undiscovered for 500 years. In the mean time, smart people were too busy to breed and the stupid people multiplied like rabbits. Natural selection worked against the human race and everybody got stupid. The two "average" people awake to discover themselves the smartest people on the planet. This isn't a great movie, but it deserved a more extensive theatrical release. It's still alot better than other movies that played in theatres. It's definitely worth a rental. I rank it as worth seeing in theatres at matinee price.

One last note, I finished my first novel of the year, The annual Alex Cross novel from James Patterson. This one, titled simply "Cross", is on par with the previous books, which is really good. It's less complex as earlier ones and reads faster. If you like earlier Alex Cross novels, get this one. If you haven't read previous ones, start off with the first one, "Along Came a Spider", or the second one, "Kiss the Girls".

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!