<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Someone at work stated a interesting fact that I had never heard before and, frankly, I'm skeptical about. He said that it is physically impossible for a person to drink a gallon of milk in one hour. Now I've drunk over a half gallon of milk without even realizing it before, especially when I have cookies or my mom's chocolate cake.

The reason he stated for this fact is that the human stomach does not produce enough of the enzymes that breaks down milk fast enough. He said that the milk gets backed up in the stomach or something to that effect.

Here are the reason I'm skeptical:
1) Everyone is different so the same maximum value wouldn't apply to everyone.
2) People can adapt their bodies to extreme things. I'm thinking especially about those who train for competitive eating competitions (which was how the subject of drinking mass amounts of milk came up in conversation). So I imagine that some of the competive eating champs could get a gallon of any liquid into their stomach without any of it being broken down.
3) If there was a max value, I doubt it'd be a nice even number like one gallon.

Now he did say that it is cheating to use the milk designed for lactose intolerant people or the pills that can be taken to help with breaking down dairy. I understand that. But I think that, while it might be difficult and might take preparation and multiple attempts, it would be possible.

One side note: the guy who told me this is a younger guy who is not too long out of college. The story he told about him and his friends trying took place, I believe, in college. I'm just saying this to put it in context. A group of guys my age trying it might be seen as stupid or juvenile, but it's definitely the type of thing I would have attempted in college.

Anyway, has anyone else heard that it was possible to drink a gallon of milk in an hour?

Comments:
I keep thinking that my friend Matt chugged a gallon of chocolate milk at a football game one time. But he might have thrown up. I can't remember it so clearly now.
 
I just realized that the last sentence in the post should be:

"...heard that it was IMpossible to drink..."
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I have a vague memory of that incident as well.

Also, some baseball player got in trouble for betting a batboy he couldnt' do it, and then paying the kid out when he did. i think they were with the marlins, but i'm not sure.
 
http://loudermilk.org/milk/

That's as close as I could come. Although they use skim and this guy puked after a second hour. Makes me want to try. I did find the whole lowering the body temp interesting and wonder how that plays into it. Odd that I couldn't find a definite answer one way or the other.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!