<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Okay, it's late and I just got home from a night where I probably had too many beers. I'm not drunk cause I stuck to beers that fill my stomach up to the point that I can't drink no more before I get to the point where I'm drunk. Anyway, I went to the movies today then went to a bar for a late dinner and to watch the ncaa tournament.

Anyway, I went to see V for Vendetta. I chose this because the other movie that interested me was less than 90 minutes long. If I'm going to pay full price for a movie nowadays, I want it to be atleast longer than the commercials and trailers that run before it.

Anyway, the movie was really good. It was, in some ways, what I expected and in others, not so much. Of course, the heros are Natalie Portman and a guy in a mask, but at some point middle, I started wondering if the guy in the mask could really be considered a good guy. The bad guy, though, is definitely the government. Some people see parallels between the movie and today's situation, but I don't think that was intentional. Rather, I think the movie played towards a more general "1984" theme that some people to see similarity to today's goverment. Anyway, the movie has it's standard action sequences, including well-done but nothing-you've-haven't-seen-before fight scenes involving martial arts and swords. Some of the ending imagery works better if you think of it as symbolic instead of realistic. It didn't quite fully explain some facts, but I'm not sure if it's a bad thing. Anyway, I liked it. I'm not sorry I saw it in the theatre at full price, but I didn't like it enough to go see it again in the theatre.

I also recently got Monster-in-law from netflix. It had potential and it was watchable, but it's not a movie to pay money to see. It's definitely a cable/netflix movie. I think the problem with it is that I could see the mother's action actually happening to someone in real-life. The engaged couple are so likeable that I actually felt bad for all the acts of sabotage by the future mother-in-law that I didn't find them funny. Anyway, if you find this movie on cable and nothing else is on, watch it. But I don't recommend buying the dvd or renting at a rental store.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!