<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Thursday night I took the ferry across the river into Philly. You have to buy a round trip ticket despite knowing that I'd have to take a taxi or subway home. So I have an extra ticket that is only good going from Philly to NJ. I can see doing the ferry over/taxi back thing more this year and not many reasons to only take the ferry back from Philly, so unless I take the subway over (a cheaper but less relaxing ride) and the ferry back, I could end this year with a bunch of Philly-to-NJ ferry tickets.

I enjoyed the walk from the ferry to South St. I think the next off-friday I have, I'm going to take the ferry over again and just walk around. I walked past the Eulogy tavern. I don't think I blogged about it when I went there last month with co-workers but it's a interesting place. It has a huge beer list, which is on their website and the room we sat in had a kid-sized coffin with a glass top as the table. And in the coffin was a skeleton (I assume a fake one) and other death-type items. But it's worth going just for the beer selection.

I met up with Adam at the Copabanana, which, to be perfectly honest, was your standard "Margaritaville"-type place. Then went to Fat Tuesday's. The party was just getting started. We hung around with a group of Pyschology majors. Adam had to leave to do schoolwork but I stuck around long enough to drink to many Coronas and weak tequila test tube shots. Got to see my first wet t-shirt contest in-person. It was easy to see who was going to win before they were all up on stage. The eventual winner was the first up on stage, had her t-shirt cut completely down the front and flashed the crowd early and often. Anyway, I really like South Street. Reminds me of Carson Street in Pittsburgh. A lot of activities, a ton of bars and clubs. I'm definitely going to have to go back again.

For the second time since moving to New Jersey, I took a taxi home and one thing still kind of surprises me. The toll across the bridge is only going from Jersey to Philly. So a taxi driver has to pay the toll after I'm already dropped off. Yet, they don't add a toll charge to the fare, despite the fact that it's highly unlikely that they'd pick someone up to take back across the bridge. The fare is about what it was to go from the Strip to the Oakland/Squirrel Hill area. Not too much more than a subway ride and I didn't have to walk unsafe streets to get to and from the subway station.

And now some new news:
- Carnegie Mellon's Red Team is at it again. Hopefully this year, someone, anyone, will actually finish the race.

- This story is a little screwed up. They suspended for ten days for not hanging up on his mom who is in Iraq and said they were being lenient because they could have had him arrested? They also said this kid was suspended because he used profanity on the way to the office, but why were they taking him to the office if he wasn't already going to be punished. I'd like to think that even in my old high school, the teacher would have let the kid keep talking to his mom, but then again, in my hometown, the teacher probably would have known the mom. Then again, I've been out of high school a long time. Now they have the "zero tolerance" policies, or, as a guy I work with puts it, "zero intelligence" policies.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!