<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 23, 2005

I saw Episode III. I won't discuss specifics of the plots for those who haven't seen it. I'll stick to stuff that's not plot-related or stuff people already know. The thing that struck me most was how the movie was like a link between the look of the original three with the look of the first two prequels. The one thing that struck me about the first two was that the technology looked more advanced in the first two despite being earlier in the time line. The fighters looked like early versions of X-Wings and Tie Fighters. The big ships looked more like Star Destroyers (actually I guess they were star destroyers.) The clones outfits looked more like Storm Troopers. And the thing is, the fact that the ships went through this major war explained their, for a lack of a better term, used look in A New Hope. You got to figure that the rebels had to scrounge for fighters and the empire were more into quantity rather than developing new technologies.

They also closed most loopholes between the two sets of movies. I'll wait another couple weeks before discussing them. I also was disappointed in Mace's final scenes and all the wookie scenes.

Okay, it season finale time for tv shows. On 24, I liked the final scene, even if it did have a "Dr. David Bruce Banner" quality to it. On Desperate Housewives, I was sorta surprised with the probable and previoiusly unknown father-son pairing which made the final scene have even more meaning. On Grey's Anatomy, the final scene answered a question about one of the character. It would have been more interesting if he had been running from an arrest warrant or something. I also felt bad for the geek. He finally has some luck and it turned on him.

The season finale of American Idol is this week. I followed it this year, actually. Being part of pop culture, I always kinda kept an eye on the happenings on the show, but then I discovered that there were a couple of rockers and a cute country singer on the show, I actually turned it on a few times. I also grew to really like Vonzell, so I didn't care who was kicked out last week. I have no preference for a winner this week, although, Carrie needs more work. Her singing is good, but I only saw glimpses of personality during performances.

I did find funny people on a couple message boards on some of the entertainment news sites who said that neither Bo nor Carrie should win because this is a search for a pop star and not rock or country. R&B has been represented so strongly on the pop charts in recent years that maybe younger people don't understand that pop isn't really a pure genre in itself, it's a sort of psuedo-genre that's made up of the most widely listenable current music. Rock and Country have both dominated the pop charts at one point or another. Bo sings rock. Carrie sings country. Vonzell sings R&B. But all three have potential to sing pop, whether it's rock-pop, country-pop or R&B-pop. And there's a decent chance, sometime later this year, I might, for the first time, purchase a cd from a former American Idol contestant.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!