<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

First of all, I got good news this weekend. My lease is up at the end of July and I want to stay, but it all depends on how much the rent was increased. I got the lease renewal form and the rent did not increase at all. The notice said there was no increase because I was one of the first round of tenants in the building, but I think it was a way of keeping people from leaving after the water fiasco the last couple of months. I want to keep living here one more year and experience a full summer living so close to the minor league baseball stadium, an amphitheatre and a ferry ride away from Philly.

Of course, I can't afford car insurance on a new car in this area, so I'll likely put off getting a new car until next year. Although, I'm thinking of seeing if I can buy a new car but keep it at my parents and pay PA insurance until I move out. I don't drive too much anyway and I'm planning on keeping my old car anyway because it has no trade-in value and is better in the snow than the car I want.

Although there is no rent increase, the deal to new tenants for free access to the gym runs out, so if I want to keep using the gym, I'll have to pay $25 a month. The gym at work is $4 per week, but has limited hours.

Two disturbing things I've been meaning to bring up here but I don't believe I ever did. If I've mentioned either of these before, sorry.
- Went into a Wendy's a couple weeks ago and a guy behind the counter working for Wendy's joked to the guy in front of me who had just ordered chili that "there aren't any fingers in our chili". Now, I'm not an expert on business, but I think that the guys at corporate headquarters of Wendy's would extremely discourage their employees from reminding customers that a finger was (allegedly) found in chili at one of their stores.
- A notice appeared overtop of the garbage chute on my floor (and I assume every garbage chute) asking tenants to put the by-product of cleaning litterboxes into bags before discarding and to NOT simply dumping the box into the chute. That posting could only have been put up because someone had been cleaning their litterboxes by carrying the box to the garbage chute and dumping it. I have a high tolerance for disgusting, but that is disgusting. Especially, if it was being done on one of the higher floors.

Has anyone from the western PA area heard of this movie? It was filmed in Washington, PA and based on a true story. I think it might even be set in Washington. I had mentioned to a coworker that I had grown up pretty close to Washington and he told me about this movie. He owns it and has loaned me the DVD, so I'll watch it and let you all know, but it surprises me that I hadn't heard of it. I know most of the movies filmed in Pittsburgh in the last ten years. One filmed in Washington County would be something I heard of, especially since my parents subscribe to the Washington newspaper and my mom would have mentioned it. God know that the Observer would have mentioned it since there are definitely slow news days in Washington.

And now for the (not-so)news:
- This sucks. Aldephia was starting to creep into the Pittsburgh markets to challenge Comcast. At my last Western PA place, I was getting flyers for Adelphia the last six months or so. Comcast might get challenged, so they buy the company? There needs to me more competition for cable companies. At least the satellites companies are competition.

- Looks like a computer can write better than me.

- One last Chiodo's item.

- This is interesting. A Carnegie Mellon professor wrote a book on losing and failure. I wonder how much of his research he did down at Pitt? Just kidding. And I won't point out the fact that he's a professor in the H&SS school.

- This article was linked from the one mentioned in the previous item. It's humor is in the first three words of the headline put together with the last sentence.

- I live within view of the most depressed city in the nation. It's might be bad, but it can't be as bad as Cleveland. The fact that Pittsburgh beat out both of those cities could cheer up the residents enough to get them out of the top 25.

- Sorry, Tiff. More new coins are coming. And it's going to change every year until every president is on it.

- I'm against companies that sell dvds with all the "offensive" stuff removed. But I don't think I'm against the ones this law would affect. I'm not sure I see too much difference between a device that automatically skips parts of a movie and someone who manually fast-forwards through parts. The movie is changed between the disc and the screen as opposed to movies that are changed on the disc.

- According to this article, girls are expecting bigger engagement rings. I actually have a few jokes I was going to add here, but they might be seen as mean by one of my readers, so I'll be nice and just say that by the time I actually find a female willing to be engaged to me, I won't be able to afford the ring. I can only hope that a trend starts involving engagement rings that are also lollipops.

- Here's a poll for who should be the next James Bond. Pierce Brosnan is the best choice, by far. I like Hugh Jackman, but I don't see him as Bond and I especially don't see a Austrailian becoming Bond. Of the new ones, I'd say Clive Owens. I think he showed in Sin City that he can pull of Bond. Sorry Susie, but Colin Firth is a definite no.

- A belated happy Birthday to Jessica Alba, who shares a birthday with Terri. (Yeah, I'm now only five days behind on my blog news topics.)

- Here's a headline I didn't think I'd see for a while.

- These guys would have gotten away with illegally keeping found money if they hadn't gone on morning shows with a false story. Serves them right. If you find your hands on money or valuables and you're not 100% sure you have a right to them, but you plan to keep it anyway, keep your mouth shut! Don't tell people about it and don't go on national tv. And if you are stupid enough to do it, have your story down-pat before you talk to anyone.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!