<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Because I worked last Sunday, I was able to take yesterday off. I took the ferry over into the city. Walked around the city. I went along South Street and looked into the shops. I like South Street. It reminds of Carson Street in Pittsburgh. And walked up around all the old touristy places. Didn't go into any of those. I figure I'll save those to experience when people visit.

Thursday night I went with co-workers after work to a place called The Standard Tap. They had rabbit on the menu. I immediately knew that that was what I was going to order for dinner, since rabbit was a animal that I had never had before. It was good. It was like the white meat of the chicken. It also had a good selection of beer.

Will Ferrell is hosting SNL right now. He sometimes annoys me, but his hosting is great just because it means they can do the Celebrity Jeopardy sketch, possibly one of the greatest recurring SNL sketch since the early 90's, maybe earlier. I do wonder what Sean Connery thinks of that sketch. I would like to see him come on and beat the crap out of the impersonation of him, like Robert Deniro and Joe Pesci once did.

Yesterday I also discovered that the sports bar I watched Steelers games from also has the baseball satellite package, which means I got to watch a Pirate game on tv. This evening, I went to the minor league stadium nearby and watched the game. After saturday night home games, they let the kids onto the field to run the bases. Once again I got front row tickets for cheaper than all but the cheapest Pirate tickets at PNC Park.

I got my registration renewal for my PA car registration. I did have my car registration changed to NJ and they sent the renewal to me in NJ. You'd think someone would figure it out.

News items:
- In this and this column consumer reporter Lawrence Walsh talks about the Subway Club card at Subway restaurants. People complained that alot of the stores didn't have the cards. Well, the Subway Club promotion was always questionable. Workers rarely asked you if you wanted the stamps unless you asked. One employee actually told me he was told by the owner not to give out stamps unless they were asked for. Not the best attitude for a frequent buyer program.

- This article has humor on a few level. First of all, the complete Jerry-Springer-guest quality to it. Second, the title makes it at least a little unclear whether the victim had a machete or he was shot with a projectile shot out of a machete. I'm just surprised this didn't happen closer to the West Virginia border.

- The pastor who kicked out some of his church members resigned and called it all a "misunderstanding". Apparently, he misunderstood the IRS tax code involving tax exempt status on Religious groups. (I unfortunately didn't save the article that said that the IRS is looking into whether his actions pushing his political views, including kicking out members who disagreed with him, caused the church to not be viewed as a religious organizations.)

- Interesting investment for the head of a company that sells machines with Windows.

- This makes me feel old. I played the arcade game, owned the Atari 2600 cartridge, ate the cereal, and watched the cartoon.

- Celebrity Poker was understandable because of the popularity of poker on tv. Celebrity Blackjack was inevitable because it was close enough to poker without downright copying the idea. Celebrity pool and bowling I can deal with. Like poker and blackjack, they are competitions that allow celebrities to drink and converse while competing. But this? It has to go. At best, nobody will watch it. At worst, no man will watch it voluntarily, but will be forced to watch by their girlfriends/wives, which would undoubtedly lead to them being forced to take ballroom dancing classes by their girlfriends/wives and eventually lead to the break up of their relationships.

- I always figured "Happy Birthday to You" to be the most played song on Earth. I had forgotten (intentionally forgotten) the song they wrote.

- I saw this coming five years ago. A seventeen year age difference when one is still really young, a marriage after dating a short time, and the usual entertainment industry bad luck with relationships doomed this from the start.

- This is a shame. She's beautiful, talented, and she sings in a genre that is hot right now.

- I need to start paying better attention to those lucky numbers found on fortune cookies.

- At least one of my readers will be interested in this. Colin Firth gets naked in his new movie. Unfortunately, he's with another guy at the time. And he also gets extremely violent.

- Someone should explain to Hyundai customers that just because a satellite radio gets a channel, they don't have to listen to it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!