<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 08, 2005

The ballpark near me is hosting two concerts this summer. One is Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson. The other is Def Leppard and Bryan Adams. Interesting twin bills. I ordered tickets to the Dylan/Nelson concert today. It should be a great concert and it'll just be cool to be able to say that I saw Bob Dylan in conert. This is something I can't say about Frank Sinatra, The Grateful Dead, or Stevie Ray Vaughn. I can say I've seen the Baha Men and Jackyl in concert. I definitely need to balance that out.

Speaking of the ballpark, I just realized that John Rocker is playing for a minor league team in the same league as the local team, so I'll have the opportunity to see him play live.

And going back to the music subject, it got me thinking of what acts or people I've seen that I could brag about. I mean there have been great musical acts, but how many can be talked about years from now and get an almost awe from the listener. It's like the Joe Grushecky and the House Rockers' song "What did you do in the War?" where he asks "Did you see Jimi or Janis? Did you go to Woodstock, too?" Which concerts will impress my kids in the future?

I can say I've seen Aerosmith a few times, but that's only impressive if they were before they're breakup and comeback. It still can't be said for certain that Martina McBride will make the move from great to legendary that would put her on the list, especially since she doesn't write her own songs. It would seem that the concert would have to be huge or the act be legends either by greatest followed by an early death or by sheer volume of work.

To start with events, I can brag I went to the first Rolling Rock Towne Fair, but that only will mean anything if they keep having them. I can also say I went to a concert the first year Star Lake Amphitheatre was open, but that'll only mean something in the Western PA area and only as long as Star Lake exists and thrives. I passed up a last-minute chance to see the Guns 'N' Roses / Metallica concert in Pittsburgh. It was a shortened tour and the Three Rivers stadium show was one of the few to go off without a hitch, but by the time they came, there'd been so much trouble with that tour, I didn't want to crowd into the stadium just to have the concert cancelled or shortened.

Prince has the potential to reach that level, especially after his death and if the contents of his vault gets released. I guess it adds to it that he was going by the symbol when I saw him. I saw Van Halen, but with Sammy not David. I passed the chance to see the Ramones at Spring Carnival just because Carnival tends to be so busy. I missed seeing Springsteen for various reasons, although hopefully I'll fix that in the near future. Alabama will be impressive to country fans. Kiss might make the brag list, just on the basis of their legendary stage show and make-up. James Taylor and The Eagles will probably be good shows to have had attended. (And I'll readily admit that I was semi-dragged to the former.) I can say I saw the Monkees but not the Beatles; Rusted Root, but not the Rolling Stones. I had tickets to see Run DMC (with Aerosmith and Kid Rock), but my old company said I had to be up in Long Island that week, so I sold my tickets. So, if all goes well, Bob Dylan will be my most-solid entry on my future bragging list. Willie Nelson is alson enough of a legend, atleasat in country circles. Elton John's free concert on the fourth of July could also add to the list, although, like Aerosmith, I'm not sure that seeing him at this stage of his career is as impressive. Also, the fact that they're expecting well over a million people means I might not, technically, see him or this concert could actually become legendary. The sheer size of the concert might make it a legendary show.

At least, I can say I've seen some legendary athletes play, including Mario Lemieux and pretty much every Pittsburgh sports celebrity in the last 20+ years, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, just to name a few.

Which concerts/acts have any of you seen that you think will be great for storytelling and impressing in the future.

Okay, now for the news:
- I didn't even know you could vote people out of a church? I hope the people that got tossed find happiness in another church.
Being a member of a small church myself, I find it hard to see how a church that small could survive with atleast 10% of their congregation having left.

- Here's an update on the Leonard Little story I talked about a short time back. He now says that he has quit drinking. Better late than never, I guess. I wonder how much of it is just to get a lesser sentence.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!