<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 19, 2004

I got my shopping done!!!

Well, except for one thing, but I can't buy it here. I'll have to pick it up in Pittsburgh early on Christmas Eve.

This was one of my three day weekends. Since I drove back monday morning, I worked friday morning to make up for it. After work, I went to see Ocean's Twelve.

Overall, it was a fun little movie. I'm not sure if I liked it better than the first. The first one got along on pure style and rhythm. The second was slightly off on both. Overall, it was a good movie, worth the matinee price I paid to see it. It was definitely helped by the addition of Catherine Zeta-Jones, especially since Julia Roberts looked old, but her being pregnant at the time might have had something to do with it. Or maybe they had her look that way on purpose. It essentially looked like she wasn't wearing make-up and I don't think that look would be an accident. Maybe it was to create a difference between her and another real-life character in the movie that is referred to but never actually seen. I've like Zeta-Jones, though, ever since the movie "The Phantom" came out and she uttered the line "He could have had me, but he chose her. That could only be love."

The movie was actually more believable than the first, but the twist were far more obvious. Anybody who knows about the "Movie Law of Conservation of Characters" will see it coming immediately. The main twist of the movie can be sensed but not actually predicted because they kinda cheat by withholding some details about it. Overall, if you liked the first one, you'll probably like the second. I'm not sure if it's a movie I'll want to see again when it comes out on video, but it was a good movie to see to take my mind off work and christmas.

Speaking of movies I might not want to see again. I see that "Open Water" is coming out on DVD. This was a good movie in the theatre. It wasn't not really a scary movie like some people claimed it was. At least not in the usual sense. I guess you could call it scary in that it played with fear of abandonment and helpless and death. At no time during the movie was there anything that was trying to get me to be afraid. What this movie did was stay with me. When the lights go up after most movie, I might discuss it but most don't leave me still feeling the events of the movie afterwards. That being said, I didn't plan on seeing the movie again. First of all, in the theatre, the movie takes up your entire view, so the emptiness of the movie is increased by the big screen. The smaller screen as well as standard distractions at home seems like it won't be as good watching it on DVD. Also the short running time (79 minutes) and the fact I now know the ending made me decide that I would not bother buying it. But I just read a review that referred to director's and actor's commentary and featurettes that talks about stuff I was wondering about, so now I'm thinking about picking it up. At least I'll have to get it off of netflix so I can listen to the commentary.

After the movie on friday, I went to the nearby mall and did some Christmas shopping. The mall wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but then again it was still a weekday late afternoon/early evening. People would still be at work.

Saturday morning I slept in. Woke up to give myself plenty of time to wash up and go watch the steelers game at the bar. When I was in the shower, I thought I heard the phone ringing, which I thought was funny since I don't keep the ringer on my phone loud enough to hear it in the bathroom with the door closed and shower running. Then a little later I look down and the water is dirty. Turns out the city was replacing the water main and didn't alert anyone but the local hospital. The sound I heard wasn't the phone. It was the loud speaker they use for fire alarms and other emergency-type alerts. They were telling people to not use the water because it was dirty. It didn't help me since I was in the shower. I ended up washing myself off with a jug of water I had in the refrigerator. Not the most pleasant experience. I went to watch the Steelers game and got to it right at kickoff and watched the Giants take the opening kickoff back for a touchdown and then make a interception of the Steelers first offensive possession. Luckily, after that, my day started turning better. After the game, I decided to avoid the mall and go home. I ended up playing on the computer the rest of the night.

This morning I again slept in. I got up and cleaned my bathtub. It was dirty from the dirty water from yesterday. I ended up cleaning the whole bathroom while I was at it. I then proceeded to go to shopping. First stop was Target, where I lost my good pen I was using to cross stuff off my list. I picked up alot more than I thought I would there. Then I went to the mall which wasn't as crowded as I expected, although it was extremely busy. I read somewhere that the saturday or sunday (I forget which) before Christmas is the busiest shopping day of the year, except when Christmas is on a saturday. Then, the busiest day is Thursday the 23rd.
Maybe people are waiting til thursday. I finished up my shopping with the ToysRUs on the way home. Now, except for one pittsburgh-centric gift that I need to pick up early on Friday, I have my shopping done.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!