<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

In case you haven't noticed, election day is upon us. It's interesting here because I'm in the television market of a city in another state, a even greater percentage of annoying political television ads here are in races I don't care about than when I lived near Pittsburgh.
I am extremely, for a lack of a better term, cynical about the whole election process. Due to the late primary date in PA, I have yet to cast a meaningful vote in the primary. Also, in the two cases I've cast a vote for President, the guy I voted for won and, this year, for the second time the guy I voted for failed to get me to vote for him again. And I'm still pondering the question on whether voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil. That's why I intentionally didn't mark a vote for either candidate in '96. After that, I started looking into third party candidates. Right now, I'm at the conclusion that voting third party is better than not casting a vote. Right now, I'm still undecided. Last week, a guy at work brought up that Kerry had said he would cut a military program that is a big project for our company. This caused me to consider Bush again. Then, someone on tv brought up something that I feel should have been brought up more during the campaign. During the '00 campaign or after he won, Bush talked about being a uniting president, or something to that extent. That's a tough job and I wouldn't blame someone for failing to do it, but he never really tried. If I recall right, he tried to get a democrat or two on his cabinet, but everything, with the exception of right after 9/11, seemed to be aiming at being more divisive. Both parties goes out of their way to keep themselves separated. After the after effects of 9/11 died down, and he was riding high, he didn't even try to unite the two sides. I can think of opportunities he missed to attempt to mend, but it's late and I don't feel like writing them in.
On one note, I had no problem with Bush using 9/11 in his campaign. It was a defining moment in his presidency. It could not have been ignored just like the war in Iraq could not have been ignored. On the other hand, the war in Viet Nam could have been ignored a little more. People change in thirty years. Tell me about them recently.
I'm still not sold on Kerry. I might vote Libertarian just to record my annoyance at both major parties. Hell, I might write in my name.
Honestly, I'm eligible to be President in 2012. If I can get these two guys to run my campaign, how can I lose? God help us all.
If you really want to understand how I feel about this election, watch the latest episode of South Park that deals with the election of a new school mascot. The choices are a douche and a turd sandwich. It's a definite must-watch.
One final note, I'm not proofreading this entry after writing this, so excuse any grammar or logic glitches even more so than normal.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!