<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I got a call from Hillary Rodham Clinton today. It's not as impressive as it sounds. First of all, it was a recording. Second of all, I'm not what you would call a fan of hers. In fact, her running this year would be one of the few scenarios where I would have voted for Bush again.

Anyway, I came home from work and there was a new message on my machine. This was unusual, especially considering there was one on my machine when I got home for lunch. Both were recording from the democratic party encouraging me to get out the vote. Interesting that both were democrats and I got none from republicans, especially since I haven't declared a party affiliation here yet. Of course, since NJ is consider a Kerry state, I guess the republicans have a better chance if more of the less-passionate voters don't come out to vote thinking that it's in the bag.

I also find it interesting that the messages were a automated recorded call talking to a answering machine. The less real-live humans involved in the election process, the better.

Anyway, the recording on the machine when I came home was of Hillary. I had already voted and if would not have influenced my vote. I kind of got a laugh out of it. Especially the fact that I could turn down the volume as it was playing and shut her up. If I had picked up the phone, I would have been annoyed, but it's not like I pick up my home phone anyway. I always screen my call on that phone because anyone I want to talk to calls me on my cell.

The most annoying campaign call I've ever gotten was a couple years ago during the Mascara/Murtha democratic primary. I was at the my parents. We were all sitting around the dinner table (strike one). I pick up and the guy immediately starts talking. To this day, I'm not sure if it was a recording or just a guy reading off a script. Either way, it was either a recording or a guy who didn't give me a chance to say a word (strike two). He started off "As a fellow arab-american..." Now, the term -American was never a term I particularly liked, because it tends to stress the anything and not the American part. Also, in my specific cased, it totally ignores half of my ancestors (strike three). Finally, chances are they went through their call list and seperated out different groups based on last name and considering he never let me talk, how did he know I wasn't a friend of the family or something who picked up the phone (strike four). Oh yeah, my company was actively campaigning for the guy's candidate's opponent. So he had no chance for my vote (strike five).

Oh well, Bush currently has 52% of the vote but is leading the electoral vote 193-112. I'm actually hoping for a tie. The way they explained it on tv, senate would vote, by state delegation, for president and the house for vice-president, so it's possible we could see Bush be President and Edwards be Vice-President. Of course, then the secret service would have their work cut out for them.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!