<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

When I'm at work I think of all the things I mean to blog about, but I don't have access to Blogger. Now, when I'm home, I forget what they are. I've said it before. I need to start writing my blog subject ideas down. The only thing I remember is that one of the things I wanted to blog about was something I originally thought about writing about over a month ago.

On things I do remember that I want to write about. I found a bar reasonably close that has Sunday Ticket so I should be able to watch the Steelers play. I need to find out if either of the two bars that are a block or so away from my place subscribe to Sunday Ticket so I won't have to worry about driving at all. Also, I was wearing a Carnegie Mellon Alumni shirt sunday night when I was unloading my car and met a fellow tenant who is also a fellow CMU alum. I also work everyday with a fellow CMU alum and a guy whose brother graduated from Carnegie Tech. Including me, that is four or five decades of alumni (and that's not even counting the 1980's) in a two block area (one block if the tenant also works at my company).

And I just remember something else I wanted to write about. The daughters of John Kerry and George W. Bush were on the MTV Video Music Awards Sunday night. Two observations:
- The Kerry sisters were there live and got booed. I don't think it was because of who they were. I think they got booed because compared to the rest of the night's calls to get out the vote, their speech seemed more like lecturing. Even though they were giving the same message, they seemed like school teachers compared to the likes of P. Diddy.
- The Bush sisters were there via videos. Since they were second, they didn't bear the brunt of the boos. The thing I find interesting is that they didn't sound like I expected. I've seen plenty of pictures and news footage of them, but never heard their voices. They, especially Jenna, sounded nothing like I thought they would.

I'm watching The West Wing right now on dvd and the episode currently playing is another example of The West Wing borrowing a plot device from Sports Night. This time, the episode centers around characters writing emails to their fathers while waiting for a filibuster that should have ended hours ago to end. An episode of Sports Night centered around a character writing a letter to his sister while waiting for a tennis match between Pete Sampras and a unknown tennis player. Sampras should have beat the guy hours ago, but the other guy kept hanging on. It is an effective plot device, but it worked better on Sports Night because the tennis match simply was more effective. Maybe it worked better because the delay was caused by a extreme underdog tennis player hanging on against a player he had no right hanging on against. The filibuster was caused by a stubborn politician.
There was also a quick joke borrowed from Sports Night, I think. And it would only be notable (and yes, nothing on this blog is truly notable) because I think the same actress is involved. In both case, the character played by the actress is jokingly said to be fourteen when she's much older and just looks younger.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!