<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 05, 2004

So far, the job has been mostly reading. I have to program C#, which I have never did, but it's a hybrid of C++ and Java, both of which I'm good with. The tougher thing is programming for the Microsoft .Net framework on visual studio. I'm more of a text-editor/commandline-compiler type programmer. Getting use to an IDE is going to take some getting use to. Also taking some getting use to is the difference is computer support. My last job, we had no system administrator on site. We took care of our computers ourselves. We downloaded, installed, and screwed-up our computer ourselves. Here's, it's the exact opposite. They don't even allow us to have administrator access. This is just one of the ways this place is the most structured place I've worked, which will be better, I think, in the long run.

Another interesting aspect of the job, is there's a union (actually a professional organization with union-like power) for the engineers. Just another example of why it seems this job will reverse the trend of how long I last at a job. It's nice to work somewhere where people have worked for 30+ years. I 'm not sure if my first three companies were 30 years old combined.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!