<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Since DVDs for the most part can be bought cheap, cheaper than vhs tapes ever were, I tend to buy movies that I know I want and get movies from netflix that either probably suck (see Gigli in the "next in queue") or come in expensive boxsets (seasons 2-4 of The Sopranos). You might ask if the movie probably sucks, why even get it from Netflix? The answer is that even movies that suck often have something good going for them. I like to see original ideas, even if they are implemented horribly. Also, sometimes a movie that you would think sucks is actually watchable or even pretty good. I never bothered even thinking about watching the movie Oscar until Bill told me it was good. It turns out to be a really funny comedy and showed that Sylvester Stallone can be a intentionally funny actor.
The purpose of this post is mainly to explain why I often have crap in my netflix section of the blog. It's not always crap. The Godfather Trilogy is coming up soon.
Two events brought up this post. The first being the appearance of Gigli. Roger Ebert was actually criticized for not giving the movie a negative enough review. He gave it a thumbs down, but he gave it credit for certain things, like a original idea. I like original ideas. I've been seeing trailers for the movie The Prince
& Me
. From the summary-the-whole-movie trailer, I can tell the first half is a ripoff of Coming To America and the second half is The Princess Diaries with a little What A Girl Wants mixed in.
The second event is I recently got All I Want from Netflix. It stars Elijah Wood as a college freshman. He has an inheritance from his grandfather, a father he never met, and a mother who never really acted like a mother. He moves into a boarding house that already is a home to some interesting characters. The movie was a surprise. I'm not saying it's a great movie, but it was better than alot of movies that makes it to the theatres. Wood's character is totally original. I've been wanting to see more of Franka Potente since I saw her in The Bourne Identity and Mandy Moore plays a young actress who not the stereotypical young actress you would normally think she would play. Her character seems to know how the world really works. She seems to be concentrating on becoming a quality actress instead of a singer of questionable quality. If only Jennifer Lopez would do the same.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!