<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Okay, once again I didn't write down want I wanted to blog about and end up not remembering most of it. Here are some of the things I can remember.

- A phrase that I could stand never to hear again is "I can't wait til you have kids." This is in context of being said by various members of my family in my reacting to my nephew. Basically, when I'm at my parents, I don't necessarily feel like playing with my nephew. Last sunday, there was times that, despite four other adults in the house, he wanted my attention. And, at that particular time, I just wanted to relax. Instead of helping me out and distracting him for ten minutes, I get criticized for ignoring my nephew as well as a few refrains of the annoying phrase. I heard it atleast ten times on sunday and a couple more on monday. Now, the reason I find this annoying is, when I do have kids, I will be ready for stuff like having no time to relax. I won't have kids until I'm ready to handle them. I understand they're hard work. When I have kids, I'll be ready for that, or atleast as ready as I can be. For now, I don't want to hear that phrase. The person I am now is not going to be the person I am when I have kids of my own. Also, they better be able to wait til I have kids. Right now, it's a long ways off. It's quite a possibility that my dad will be over eighty years old and my mom over seventy-five years old before I have a kid.

- And there's a big controversy about the new movie The Passion of the Christ. People will say it will cause people to do violence to Jewish people and don't want it shown. Anybody who will do harm to people because of something that happened 2000 years ago are dangerous and will find a reason to do harm, even if the movie isn't even made. Most people will realize that everyone involved back then is no longer alive and you can't blame their descendents for what happened. That's like blaming German and Japanese people for stuff that happen in WWII even those who weren't alive yet. Of course, that also happens, but, aslong as a movie is reasonably accurate, it's should be allowed to be shown. Besides, trying to stop something from being shown or aired is rarely the best way to go. Suppression is rarely the best way to go. What needs to be done on any controversial issue, is to educate. Suppressed information is almost always found by those who will use it to do harm. Air it in public and run a informative campaign along with it to give people the right information.

- I didn't get around to publishing this before hand, but I'm still a regular guest on the sports talk show Tuesday nights at 10pm. You can listen to it online at WRCT's website. The rest of the time, the station airs a ecletic array of music from heavy metal to jazz to techno to real alternative as well as an occasional public affairs talk show.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!