<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

It's late and I just wanted to do a quick update on my life the last two weeks. I'll probably log in tomorrow for some more blogging. They're fixing a water main break at my apartment complex tomorrow, so I'll be without water from 8:30am til around 2pm. I'm going to try and be up to shower before then, but if not, I might not get moving until after.

I had a job interview last week. It was for a company that does contracting for another company that works for the government, so I had to interview with both companies for the job. They rented me a car to drive down in. I picked it up on Tuesday afternoon. Since the type they reserved for me wasn't available, I got a free upgrade to a Cadillac Seville sedan with XM radio and Onstar. I didn't use the latter, but I really started to like the former. I especially like the Comedy channel. I listened to as much stand-up comedy as music on the way down and up.

I drove down to DC Wednesday morning for the interview on wednesday afternoon. I had to change into a suit in a restroom stall, but I didn't get lost at all and the interview went well. After the interview, I checked into the hotel and changed and went out to dinner with the guys from the company I interviewed with. Afterwards, I met up with Feldy, a old college buddy of mine. He is also in the computer field. We had a few drinks and talked about old times. Also, he let me know that the job market for computer guys with security clearance is better there than in Pittsburgh, so I start getting use to the idea of moving to the MD/VA area.

The next day, I drive up closer to Baltimore for the interview with the company that does the contracting. The interview also went well, although I came to realize I wasn't exactly what he wanted. Sure enough, on Friday, I get the call that my single-digit years of C experience and the fact I hadn't done any C work in my last job made them decide not to hire me. Oh well. The trip went well and the interview was good experience.

On Friday evening I picked up Bill and Ray from their jobs and we headed down to Maryland to help Robin (a former co-worker of Bill, Ray and I) move back to this area. I was never really that close to Robin, but she always seemed nice and I basicly saw it as a road trip. It's just nice to get out of the area. I had agreed to go before the interview popped up, but I saw it as two consecutive road trip.

Saturday morning, we showed up at Robin's to help load the truck. All things went considerably well. There were seven people total there, with one having to look after Robin's daughter. We weren't too badly off scheduled when we left. On the way home, I drove the car and Ray and Bill drove the truck. I decided since I would probably stop to eat the same time as they did and I had no idea where to go when we got to PA, I'd stick close to the truck. I got the pleasure of watching the whole entire truck act like a weeble-wobble everytime it hit a bump.

When we got to the destination, we had plenty of help waiting to unload the truck. Add in the fact that we were moving into a ground floor apartment with no hard-to-negotiate-turns, the truck was empty in record time. After which, we tried to get the cable to work, gave up on that, listen to the Pitt game on the radio and tried to avoid putting the computer desk back together. (Okay, the last part was just me.)

I had gotten so use to the XM radio displaying the song title and artist that on the way home from the second trip, I kept looking down at the radio everytime a new song came on.

Anyway, that's a brief update on last week. I do have news on upcoming events (like a California and Las Vegas trip for me) as well as opinions on current events (Don't blame Nader, blame the people who vote for him. Although I wouldn't even do that.)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!