<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I'm currently watching Roswell season 1 on DVD. You gotta love Science Fiction. In no other genre does the geek so regularly get the girl. Of course, the geek also often dies. Sure Colin Hanks' character eventually dies (I don't remember if it's season or next), but he was dating Katherine Heigl's character at the time. There are definitely worse ways to go.

I saw Eurotrip this week. I went to see a matinee showing. I was the only one in the theatre. It was only the second time that has happened. The movie itself was pretty funny, although I'm not sure I'd want to pay full price to see it. The one thing that kept running through my mind as I watched the movie was "The guys who made this movie have never been to Europe". I've never been to Europe and even I could recognize broad stereo-types. Imagine a high-school sex comedy version of National Lampoon's European Vacation. But the biggest fault is that it didn't go far enough. If you're going to do a sex comedy, you almost have to cross every line, like the Farrelly Brothers. For example, if you're going to have a brother and sister get drunk and make out, have them take it to the limit, not just five seconds of kissing and then realization hits. The guy on the train came closest to not pulling punches. And there were some originality in the whole "Pope" sequence. The funniest moment, though, deals with Matt Damon's cameo and the running gag of a song he sings. I also have to give notice to the fact that this is the first time I've seen Michelle Trachtenberg in a role where she wasn't absolutely annoying. Overall, the movie just barely rates a "Pay Full Price" on the Tom Movie Rating scale.

I also saw Chasing Liberty at the cheap theatre. Let's just say that there wasn't much in the movie that I didn't see coming. The whole Six-Million-Dollar Man sticker thing was the only really original thing in the movie. But the movie wasn't painful to watch and Mandy Moore might be the best singer-turned-actress in recent years. It ranks a "Watch on Cable" on the Tom Movie Scale.

They shut off Chasing Liberty at the very beginning of the credits. I thought about complaining but the most that would happen would be to get my money back and it wasn't worth the trouble for a buck. I did ask the ticket taker on the way out about it and he said that the projectionist had to get new trailers on the reel before the next showing. If he didn't get the new trailers on before the next showing and the theatre chain trailer checker happen to come around for that showing, they could get in trouble. I decided not to point out that not showing credits could also get them in trouble.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!