<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 23, 2004

I saw two movies yesterday.

The first one was Something's Gotta Give, starring Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton. I knew my mom's been wanting to see it and I thought it looked really good, so I decided to spend the quality family time and take her to see it. It was really good and really funny, although at just over two hours long, it could have been shorter. Anytime a comedy is over two hours, there will be times that it drags and that is the case here.
The movie was written specifically for Keaton and Nicholson and I'm not sure anyone else could play it. Jack plays Jack. His character is basically Jack Nicholson, or at least, the public persona of Jack Nicholson. He never dates anyone over thirty and, despite being sixty-three years old, he has never been married. (He was once engaged to Diane Sawyer in the distant past, though.) The two main characters meet when Nicholson is dating Keaton's daughter. Nicholson has a heart attack which allows for two key plot points: it forces him to stay at Keaton's beach house rather than go back to the city and it allows the doctor, played by Keanu Reeves to keep showing up in the story. Reeves falls for Keaton immediately. Nicholson and Keaton do the standard "I hate you... I hate you... I love you..." situation that is standard for a romantic comedy, but they do it in by far more realisticly than I've ever seen it done in any other movie. The hate is never true extreme, as most movies would have it be, and they are not as opposite as they first seem, allowing for the attraction to grow as the similarities are revealed. Reeves does his usual acting job, which works well for his "puppy dog in love" doctor. And the ending keeps you guessing.
The Keaton nude scene has gotten alot of attention, but the scene is quick and done with low lighting and kinda at a distance. I wish I could say the same with Nicholson butt-hanging-out-of-a-hospital-robe scene.
Anyway, on the TH movie scale, I give it a "pay full price" if you want a subtle comedy or if there's nothing else you want to see playing, otherwise "pay matinee price".


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!