<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 23, 2003

I posted the blog entries from friday while sitting on the CMU campus. As I mentioned in one of the entries, my cough was really bad the night before. The over-the-counter cough medicine the doctor told me to use was totally useless. If anything, it actually seemed to make my cough worse. On the way home, it sunk in that I could be stuck all weekend with the bad cough so I called the doctor's office. The doctor called a prescription into the pharmacy for some prescription strength cough medicine that contain codeine. I was to take that at night and take the stuff that doesn't work if I'm going to be driving anywhere or need to be awake. That's because codeine knocks people out. I only ever took medicine with the stuff once before, back when I was in middle school. The doctor told me at that time that it would knock me out. I remember laying in bed that night waiting for it to knock me out. It never did. I had insomnia as usual. My only other contact with codeine was when I got alot of dental work done at one time, including getting all my wisdom teeth pulled. I got the prescription for the pain killer filled, but never used them. They were as needed and I have a high enough pain threshold that I never needed it. NyQuil also never knocked me out the few times I've taken it. In fact, since it took care of my various symptoms, it had the affect of making me feel more energetic. So, despite my belief that it won't make me drowsy, I've only been taking it at night. I haven't been able to fall asleep til 3 or 4 am the past couple of nights, but my cough seems to be under control, so I guess the medicine is doing what it's supposed to be doing. I can't wait til I get home from dropping my brother's laptop at his place so I can take more of the stuff.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!