<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 18, 2003

Okay now. It's been a hectic week at work. I have a bunch of stories to tell, including reviews of Jeepers Creepers 2, Matchstick Men, The Sleeping Dictionary, Punch-Drunk Love, and the second season of 24. I'll get them all posted eventually.

But first, I have some new info about my speeding ticket. For those few pitiful souls who read this space regularly know, I got a speeding ticket last month. I decided to fight it. I didn't really have too much of a case, honestly. I don't think I was going as fast as the officer said I was, but I can't prove that. My defense was going to be to tell the judge that I didn't think I was going 60.9 in a 45 zone, point out my excellent driving record when it comes to moving violations and pray for leniency.

The hearing was Tuesday. It was about fifteen minutes from my house, but if I missed a turn, it could take me 45 minutes, so I left early and got there at 9:30 am for a 10am hearing. I was the first one there. The district justice office is located in a stripmall-type place. The office is in what looked to be an old dentist office. I entered and walked up to the receptionist window. A guy, who I immediately decided was the judge was in there talking to the receptionist. I said that I was here for a hearing. I signed my name on a yellow tablet and sat down.

I spent some time looking at a copy of the PA "points" system that was on the wall. I noticed that 15mph over the limit is 4 points and 0-5 is only 2. You lose 3 points a year and you have to take a special class if you get up to 6 points, so there's a significant difference between 5 and 15 over the limit. And that's not even counting the fine.

Did I mention that I dressed in a suit and tie for this hearing. I figured that the notice said that I was allowed to bring an attorney and since I was acting essentially as my own attorney, I should dress accordingly. The other people who had hearings scheduled started rolling in and I soon came to the conclusion that I was over dressed. The second person to arrive was a lady in a blouse and jeans. Another person was a delivery guy in his work uniform. The only other guy dressed up was a man in a suit and tie, minus the suit jacket. I was hoping that maybe the judge would be impressed that I got dressed up for it.

At 9:50, I hear the judge tell the receptionist that he's going to start the procedures. My name was first on the sign-in list so I got called in first. I walk in. He states my name and asked if he pronounced it right. (He actually did.) I waited for him to ask me to plead my case. Instead, he asks me if I would be willing to plead guilty if the officer was to drop the charge down to 5 over the speed limit. I said "Yes. And then I thought about it. Then I said "Yes" again. Like I said, there's a significant difference between 5 and 15 over the limit. He said that there's a difference in the fine and I'll be getting a refund from the fine that I had already paid. Then he asked if I had any questions. I hesistated. He said, "don't worry. I've heard them all." So I decided to ask him about how many points will I be getting. I stated the question ever so eloquently. I asked, (and I am quoting here) "Um, points?". He said Zero points. I said okay. He said I could go. I asked if I had to sign anything and he said no. So I left. I didn't even think about whether I was supposed to stop by the reception desk and pick up the refund or it would be mailed to me. I guess I assumed that they would send it to me like the city of Pittsburgh did when I argued my only other ticket 8 years ago and got that reduced. I'm going to call the district justice office and make sure they're sending the refund. I was just glad to get of there without having to even try to make a case. I'm not saying I was guilty. I'm just saying I'm not good at public speaking.

Okay, I'll have movie reviews and other various stories coming soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!