<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 27, 2003

One pre-trip thing I wanted to write about. On my birthday weekend, I got the first two American Pie movies and the entire Scream trilogy on dvd. I also saw the third American Pie movie that weekend. I've come to realize that there are a number of parallels between the two series:
1. Both movies revived a genre. American Pie revived the R-rated teenage sex comedy. Scream revived the horror genre.
2. Both were followed by a endless line of imitators trying to out-do them.
3. Both helped start the careers of a slew of young actors.
4. Both have stopped at three movies with no even thought of another movie. Wes Craven has even said that he might revisit the scream universe in ten years or more, but he wasn't going to do it anytime soon. The surprising thing is that in both cases the studios aren't trying to push more sequels with all new casts/crews.

There were a couple more, but I can't think of them right now.

Updated 9-8-03
5. I had forgotten the thing that most made me think of the similarities of the two trilogies. In both the American Pie and Scream trilogies, the first movie is about high school, the second is about college and the third is about life after college.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!