<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 04, 2003

Okay, it's been a busy week. Got a lot of things I wanted to write about, but atleast half of them, I've forgotten.

Of course, this past weekend was my birthday. It started off thursday night. Tiff and I went to Steak and Shake and then to see the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. It was a good movie. It might even have made it to great level. The main thing it had going for it is that it went on too long. If it had about 20-30 minutes taken out of it here or there, it'd could have been great. But it just seemed to drag, although it didn't drag in any place in particular. Johnny Depp's performance was great. He played the role in a way that was both totally entertaining and totally original. Kiera Knightley managed to just barely keep from being the stereotypical female character that is strong and educated and "not proper" that fits in well in the post-Women's Lib period even though it's about two centuries ago.

I also find it funny how, since this movie came out as a hit, the ads for Bend It Like Beckham now make it seem like she's the main star of the movie. Some may say that it's because the main star is Indian, but NBC did something similar with even more of an extreme stretch and without the ethnic factor when they advertised the broadcast of A Few Good Men by lumping in Noah Wyle as one of the stars of the movie. He only had a tiny partin the movie, but he was a major NBC star from ER.

Friday morning, Tiff took me to the local Hertz rental place and she got me a Ford Mustang for the weekend. It was a pretty car. It was a blast to drive. And I'm not one to have fun driving. On the way back from the rental place, I stopped by Suncoast video and splurged on some movies. Later on, Tiff and I went to see American Wedding, one of the few movies that has hit the theatre that we both wanted to see. It was funny. Basicly, if you like the first two, you'll like this one. If you didn't, you won't like this one. Friday night, we took the Mustang down to my parents to show it to them and my brother's family. It took my two-year-old nephey little time to figure out how to open the car door, climb into the driver seat and beeping the horn. We later went to Bill and Terri's.

Saturday afternoon, we drove down to an old co-worker's place for a reunion of ex-Lycos workers. I caught up with some people who I haven't seen in a few years. Saturday night, with Bill playing designated driver, the four of us went to Dave and Busters. On the way, we got caught in traffic caused by fireworks night at the Pittsburgh Pirates game. When there is a fireworks display in downtown Pittsburgh, drivers seem to think it's okay to simply stop in the middle of the road and get out and watch the display. At D&B, we played Robotech and some pool. I did some drinking but didn't get too drunk. Even though I wasn't blitz, there are parts about Saturday night that I don't remember. For instance, why I ended up sleeping on couch during various periods of the night. Sunday night, I picked up Tiff and we went to have dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. I had never eaten at the Pittsburgh Hard Rock despite it being so close. Then, we had to drive to Wal-Mart to pick up a fan for Tiff since her very life is dependent on her fan.

Monday morning, I returned the Mustang and returned to driving my Taurus. I then proceeded to get a speeding ticket on the way to work. My first ticket in nine years and it wasn't in the Mustang. Of course, my only other speeding ticket was achieved in a '84 Pontiac station wagon with artificial woodgrain panelling.

There are other notable entertaining details of the weekend, but I can't think of most of them right now.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!