<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Tiff and I went to the movies Monday night. First we went to dinner at Steak and Shake. I got a triple cheeseburger, a cup of chili, and a milkshake, so I was hyped up on grease and sugar by the time we hit the theatre. Since Tiff chose the last movies we saw together, it was my choice this time. We went to see The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
We went to the big Loew's theatre at the Waterfront. The movie was showing in a corner theatre. The hallway outside the theatre absolutely stunk. There was an odor that actually seemed to drive people into the theatres. I can only guess that the odor was eminating from the closed down concessions stand. There's a small concession stand at that end of the theatre that's only open on the weekend when the place is busier. My guess is that something perishable wasn't put away properly.
We were going to the 9:45 show of the movie in theatre 9. The digital signs outside of theatre 9 said "Terminator 3 9:15". But it was 9:40 and the movie in the theatre hadn't started, so we figured the sign must be wrong. Besides, we just wanted to get out of the stench. We sat down and the trailer started playing.
Now, I know some of the less-than-ten of the readers of this blog aren't fans of slasher movies, but I am. Of course, these movies are, for the most part, unrealistic, but that's part of the point. I find it a good release of pent-up emotions to watch people die. And the deaths are so unrealistic, that it's not like you're watching somebody really die. I also love to see how many different ways people can die. Whether it's a machete, a party horn or a giant drillbit, I find it fun to see what they come up with next. Finally, slashers, atleast the early ones, are like modern day parables. They are part of a long tradition of stories of what happens to bad little boys and girls.
I wrote that last paragraph because, before the movie, they ran a trailer for Freddy Vs. Jason. I'm a fan of both Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street series, so I've been looking forward to this movie. They have a couple known stars in this one, which means they put some money into this one. When the trailer came on, seeing it combined with the recent intake of too much sugar and grease, got me into a wierd mood. I think I actually got giddy. I was really happy. Tiff looked annoyed. Probably because of the big smile on my face and probably because she realized that I might actually drag her to see that movie.
Then the trailer for Jeepers Creepers 2 came on. I really liked the first Jeepers Creepers. It was one of the best new horror films that has come out recently. The second one looks great. Since I was already on some strange high from the Freddy Vs. Jason trailer, I got worse. Tiff got more annoyed.
Okay, on to the movie. I loved the concept of the comic book when I first heard of it and I was thrilled when I heard it was being made into a movie. Then I read the reviews, that got me down because the reviews were bad. I should really stop reading reviews. There were a few things that were completely unbelieveable, but then again, we were talking about fictional characters. The movie was great. Sean Connery was his usual self, which is always a good thing. The action scenes were some of the best I've seen this year. The addition of Tom Sawyer as a token American wasn't as annoying as I thought neither was the thought of Sawyer as a secret agent.
I actually figured out who the main bad guy was before the movie started. Basically, I only know two 19th century super-villains and one of them, Jack the Ripper, never was a "take over the world" type guy. I was just waiting for the main bad guy's arch-nemesis to make an appearance.
Anyway, the movie is a good action movie. The characters are original, for an action movie if not in the realm of all fiction. I hope they take the door they left open for a sequel, although, I don't see how it could be done without Sean Connery's character. They could, in theory, bring his character back, but, from the news I heard on set, I don't think he would want to come back.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!