<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 03, 2003

I live on a small road that connects two major roads. Last week, a orange sign appeared saying the road would be oiled next week. The sign is still here this week. I'm not 100% sure what oiling the road means, but I'm relatively sure it hasn't happened yet. This leaves me wondering how long will the road be oiled "next week". Back in high school, a identical sign was up on a road I often drove on for a few months. You would think that they would learn by now that if a sign says something is going to happen next week, they shouldn't leave it up for multiple weeks. Then again, I have worked at PennDOT, so I'm not surprised.

The band The Ataris have a cover of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" that is getting regular radio airplay. I kinda like it. One thing that always catches my attention is the changing of the line "I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac" to "I saw a Black Flag sticker on a cadillac". Usually I hate when lyrics are changed when a song is covered and actually I was slightly perturbed when I first heard it. Then I realized that the change makes sense. The kids nowadays have grown up in a time when deadheads have become executives wearing Jerry Garcia-designed ties. The line, as it was originally done, doesn't have the same effect on today's youth as it did back in the 80's. Now the idea of a Black Flag fan driving a cadillac now can be seen as equivalent to a deadhead driving a cadillac back in the 80's.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!