<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 22, 2003

Well, I wasn't planning on writing an entry today, but I just got a new computer at work and I'm copying my files from the old one to the new one. It'll be great to have a new one. The old one was just screwy. (I don't think you can blame all of it entirely on me) The old computer would reboot itself without warning. It'll be fine for a while then suddenly, it's rebooting. It happened when I got new memory for it last year. I'm not good with hardware, especially on a windows box, so I just lived with it. We don't have a local administrator here, and when one comes down from corporate hq, he's running around busy his whole visit. I got offered a new one, and I took it. My old one goes to an incoming intern. I hope he has fun with it.

I happened to catch the last episode of the bachelor and the epilogue episode this week. Earlier this year, I watched the first episode, picked my favorite girls, then didn't watch it again until the last episode. Not knowing what happened in between, and catching various episodes of previous bachelor(ette)s series, I have the following comments:
- If you're one of the 25 competing and you look around, you'll see that a majority are physically similar. If you're not in that majority, just give up. The producers find out what the bachelor(ette) likes and fills up the contestant pool with that type to ensure there's enough (s)he's attracted to. In the latest bachelor, over half had long blonde or light brown hair. They also had similar bodies. If you have black hair and everybody else around you is blonde, I'd suggest leaving while you still have some of your dignity. And if you're a minority, your chances seems even bleaker.
- It's interesting the differences between the contestants when the bachelor(ette) isn't around. The 25 guys turned the house into a frat party when Trista wasn't around. They got drunk. One guy ate dog food. Another urinated on his bed. Some of the other guys carried a bed with a passed out contestant on it outside, so he woke up next to a garden gnome. The 25 gals kept their guards up at all time. Forming cliques and talking behind each others backs. They were playing the game at all times. Does this reflect better on the guys or the gals. You could say that the guys weren't taking it serious. On the other hand, the gals were possibly taking it too serious. This is more than a game. The winner, in theory, enters into a relationship. If they are dishonest about themselves to make themselves look better and use lies to sabotage the other ladies' chances, then it makes it less likely that the best match will be chosen and thus no matter who wins, the bachelor loses. Personally, I'll take the way the 25 guys act anyday. Have fun and relax and be civilized with the opponents between chances to be at-bat.
- I think that's the thing that bothers me about the bachelor(ette). I'm not sure if I'd ever be totally sure that the contestants are trying to win even though they aren't a good match. This is probably as true for the guys as the girls. I've seen the smaller dating shows like "dismissed" where you have one guy dating multiple girls or vice versa. More often than not, the multiples care more about being chosen and "winning" than actually finding a match. That what's great about Blind Date. If a couple don't like each other, they show it. And what's more fun to watch than a date turn into a car wreck.
- The funniest thing about the epilogue episodes of the shows is when the winner tells how tough it is to watch the taped episodes air and see their new fiancee' make out with their former opponents.
- And finally, the new bachelor is Bob, the funny, "big-boned" contestant from the bachelorette. I believe the women competing for his hand will be just as serious as the women on previous bachelors, but I'm curious to see if they're as quick to suck face with him as on previous shows. I heard a saying once that "there are guys that girls date and there are guys that girls marry". The previous bachelors seemed more like the former, thus the willingness to lock lips so quickly. Bob seems like more the latter type.

You know, for something I barely watched, I have way too many opinions. (I just thought I'd say that before someone else did in the comments section.)

And while I'm on a reality tv vein, I ask this question: Is it a coincidence that Ruben won the american idol right after both luther vandross and barry white had strokes?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!