<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 27, 2003

- I saw the new movie version of I Spy. It's sad to see how Eddie Murphy's career has fallen. Growing up he was one of the great comic talents. Now his schtick is just getting old. Maybe he should pull a Robin Williams and go back to stand up for a short time. His character in I Spy is essentially one of the character that his character in Trading Places or Beverly Hills Cop 2 would have done. Back then, it was funny to think that someone in a movie would find that character real. They expect us now to think that character is real. And, even given that the audience needs to understand that the movie isn't supposed to be realistic, it is still hard to buy Eddie Murphy as a champion boxer. The way he holds his body, the way he stands, even his physique screams "I ain't fighting without a weapon". And the boxing scenes makes the fight scenes in Meatballs 2 look like the fight scenes in When We Were Kings.
- Anyway, my opinion is essentially, I Spy is a movie to watch when you have time to kill and you don't have to pay for it, which was the situation I watched it in.
- One last I Spy note: the IMDB lists Gary Cole as the actor who plays the latino super spy Carlos. I didn't recognize him as being Carlos, but if it was him, it's the worse casting of an actor in a latino role since, well, Catherine Bell in Bruce Almighty.
- I got the first season of Dark Angel on DVD. It's a shame it didn't succeed. I hope James Cameron tries doing television again, but only if it's sci-fi. The world doesn't need the television equivalent of the Titanic.
- Went to Fuddruckers this weekend. Their ostrich burger isn't the best burger I've ever tasted, but I think I'd put it in my top five.
- I believe the only great movie star of my youth who has fallen further than Eddie Murphy is Sylvester Stallone. I just saw a sign for another of his movies outside a rental place that must be going straight to video. If he doesn't make a decently success movie soon, he could start becoming known as Frank's brother. No wonder he's considering doing another Rocky or Rambo.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Get Firefox!